When can I claim compensation for delays to c2c services?

If your journey with us has been delayed by more than 15 minutes, you can claim compensation through our Delay Repay claim form.

The payback you’ll receive will depend on the type of ticket you hold and the length of time you were delayed. You can receive your compensation in one of four ways:

  • By cheque
  • By credit or debit card
  • Via a National Rail Travel Voucher
  • Or in cash (by choosing National Rail Travel Voucher and exchanging it for cash at a c2c ticket office).