We want to make sure everyone who travels with us feels welcome on our trains. If you need any extra help on your journey please don’t hesitate to contact our Assisted Travel Team by phone, email or using the form below. If you are also using another train company on your journey you can book assistance for your entire journey with us so you don’t have to get in touch with multiple train companies.
Current update for assisted travel during Covid-19 pandemic
- During this unprecedented time, please only travel if your journey is essential.
- If your journey is essential and you require assistance, we are strongly advising customers to provide as much notice as possible prior to travelling. This is to ensure that we are able to arrange for staff to assist you at the station.
- When booking assistance, we will ask you to declare that you are not suffering from symptoms associated with Covid-19 such as a cough or a high temperature.
- Once your request has been booked and you arrive at the station, the stations team will ask you to confirm that you are not suffering from symptoms associated with Covid-19.
- If you are experiencing symptoms associated with Covid-19, please do not travel.
- We have a commitment to provide assistance if you book 4 hours in advance, we will adhere to this where possible, but as much advance notice is recommended
- We are strongly advising against Turn Up and Go as we will not be able to guarantee that a member of staff will be available to get the customer on the train they wish to travel on.
- Our Passenger Assist team monitor calls and the email address during the following times:
- Monday to Friday 08:00 – 20:00
- Saturday and Sunday (and Bank Holidays) 09:00 – 16:00
- You can call us on 03457 444 422 (option 3)
- You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel assistance guidance
Telephone and by textphone on the number below.
03457 444 422 (Option 3)
Lines are open 24 hours a day except Christmas Day.
If you call this number outside the hours of our travel assistance team (see below for opening times), the call will be forwarded to ‘National Rail Enquiries who will be able to help with your query.
Alternatively, you can email email@example.com.
Our travel assistance team monitor calls and the email address during the following times:
Monday to Friday 08:00 – 20:00
Saturday and Sunday (and Bank Holidays) 09:00 – 16:00
We understand that you may not always be able to confirm the time of your exact return journey so we will ask you to give your best estimate within an hour.
It is important to contact us before hand, so that we can either arrange additional staff to help you at our stations outside normal opening hours or make alternative arrangements to ensure you have the safest and most comfortable journey possible. We aim to provide assistance within 4 hours notice.
For customers unable to book in advance, our staff will take reasonable steps to help you on the day. However, please bear in mind that there may only be one member of staff on duty helping other customers and they may not be able to assist you as quickly as you would like. If there are no staff available please use the help point on the platform to alert someone for assistance.
Helping you to get on or off the train
- Installing a ramp to help you get on and off trains
- Meeting you when you arrive at our station
- Assistance with buying a ticket
- Guiding visually impaired passengers to the train
- Help with carrying luggage
Although there are limits to the type of assistance we provide we always aim to be as helpful as we can. However, we cannot provide personal care (for example help with eating, drinking, taking medication or using the toilet) or personal attendance throughout a customer’s journey.
Please contact us to discuss your requirements (even if it isn’t on the list) and we will advise you on what we can do to help with your travel arrangements.
We are working with ATOC and other train operating companies to support Stations Made Easy on National Rail Enquiries (NRE) website, which gives passengers access to station information, diagrams of the station and photographs of key installations. This facility enables passengers to view station facilities and to plan their journeys according to their disability.
Please visit National Rail for more details.
Assistance with luggage
If you have booked assistance we are able to provide help with your luggage within the station and to and from the train. We will provide help with a maximum of two items (up to 23kg each), as well as one smaller item of hand luggage. Please be aware that our staff are trained in manual handling and will not lift or carry any item which they feel would put their health or well-being at risk.
Season Tickets for blind or visually-impaired customers
If you are blind or visually-impaired you can buy a Season Ticket that allows a companion to travel with you at no extra cost. These tickets can be purchased from staffed stations. Please take a document confirming your visual impairment when buying your ticket and when travelling. This must be from a recognised institution such as Social Services, your Local Authority, The Royal Institute for the Blind (RNIB) or St Dunstan’s now known as Blind Veterans UK.