Save a third on travel with a Student Smartcard
If you’re a full time student aged 16+ studying in the South Essex area, and your college is part of our scheme, you can save up to a third off travel with c2c when you buy a Weekly, Term-time, Monthly or Annual Season ticket on your c2c Smartcard.
There's no need to reapply for the scheme if you're a returning student. Your student discount is valid for one academic year and if you're still a student make sure you get your discount by speaking to the administrator at your school or college. Your administrator will let us know that you're still eligible for the Student Smartcard discount.
How to apply
You only need to do the application once, with your own, unique, and valid email address. If you're a parent applying on behalf of a student, please make sure to use the student's email address.
2. Collect your card
Your Smartcard will be sent to the Student Smartcard administrator at your school/college. Please allow up to 15 working days for it to arrive.
Your Student Smart administrator will confirm that you are enrolled and will contact you when your Smartcard is ready to be collected.
3. Buy tickets
Now you've got your Smartcard you're ready to buy your Smart Student tickets. To get started, click here to sign in to your online account then click on Smart Student at the top of the page, to activate your discount.
When you search and buy tickets make sure you select ‘only fares that can be loaded onto an ITSO Smartcard’ in the search options. Then when you reach the Delivery Details page select the option to ‘load ticket onto c2c Smartcard’. Use the last 8 digits of your c2c Smartcard when asked for your photocard number.
Which colleges are in the Smart Student scheme?
Smart Student is available to full time* students, aged 16+, and studying at the following schools and colleges:
- Barking Abbey School
- Central Training Group
- Coopers' Company & Coborn School
- Harris Academy Chafford Hundred
- Hassenbrook Academy
- Havering College of Further & Higher Education
- Havering Sixth Form College
- King John School
- National College Creative Industries
- Ormiston Park Academy
- Palmer’s College
- Robert Clack School
- Seevic College
- Shoeburyness High School
- Southend Adult Community
Available for all full time students and apprentices
- South Essex College
Available for all full time students 16+, part time students (aged 16-19) and apprentices (aged 16-19)
- Southend High School for Boys
- Southend High School for Girls
- Stanford & Corringham Sixth Form College
- St Bernard's High School
- St Cleres School
- St Thomas More High School
- The Ockendon Academy
- The Campion School
- Thorpe Hall School
- University of Essex
- Westcliff High School for Boys
- Westcliff High School for Girls
If your school or college is not listed, please ask them to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*For students at South Essex College, Smart Student is also available to part time apprentices aged 16-19
How do I register for Smart Student?
Just complete our easy form and a Smart Student card will wing its way to you!
How do I buy Smart Student tickets?
- Click here to sign in to your online account
- Click on Smart Student at the top of the page, to activate your discount
- Search and buy tickets as normal, but make sure you select ‘only fares that can be loaded onto an ITSO Smartcard’ in the search options.
- When you reach the Delivery Details page select the option to ‘load ticket onto c2c Smartcard’.
- Use the last 8 digits of your c2c Smartcard when asked for your photocard number.
- Please leave at least two hours between buying tickets online and travelling.
I’ve lost my card
Please speak to the administrator at your school or college who can make sure you get a new card which is activated with you Smart Student discount.
My card didn’t arrive
Please check that your card isn’t with the Smart Student administrator at your school or college. If they haven’t received it within 15 working days of you ordering it, please give us a call on 0345 744 4422 (option 2).
My discount isn’t working
Please ensure that the email address your discount is linked to is the same as the one registered to your Smartcard account. Please speak to your college or school administrator, they will need to confirm your enrollment before the discount is activated. If you have already tried this give our team a call on 0345 744 4422 (option 2).