Thousands of Passengers Benefit from First Year of c2c Franchise
Thousands of local rail passengers have benefited over the last year from cheaper travel and new technology as c2c celebrates the first year of its new rail franchise.
Since c2c started its new 15-year franchise a year ago today:
- 5,500 passengers have used the new c2c Smartcard, which is available across the c2c route. Nearly 20% of season ticket holders are now using c2c Smartcards rather than paper tickets – more than any other train operator;
- More than 19,000 people have taken advantage of c2c’s discounts on advance tickets. Since last November c2c has discounts of up 40% off the cost of off-peak travel when tickets are bought online in advance, plus special sales with flat fare of £5 or with 50% discounts;
- Over 35,000 cheap tickets for over-65s have been sold. These special “rover” tickets are available for unlimited daily use at £5 when travelling outside London or for £9 when travelling to and from c2c stations in the capital;
- On 29 different days during the past year every single c2c train arrived on time, helping to maintain c2c’s status as the UK’s most punctual train operator;
- 90,000 different users have taken advantage of c2c’s free wifi at stations. Total usage is now averaging 200GB every week.
In September c2c was named the Passenger Operator of the Year at the 2015 National Rail Awards, the railway equivalent of the Oscars.
c2c Managing Director Julian Drury said: “We’re launched a lot of new products in the past year and we’re proud they have been such a hit with our passengers. We have a lot more work to do though, with many more improvements to our service that we will introduce in the next year.
“Our 2016 highlights include automatic compensation for trains that are delayed for as little as two minutes, free wifi onboard our trains, and the start of our £33m station refurbishment programme.”
- For more information please contact Chris Atkinson on 020 7444 1868 or at email@example.com
- About c2c: c2c is the award-winning train operator running services between Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness, serving 26 stations in East London and South Essex. c2c is delivering the best performance in the UK rail industry, holding the UK records for annual punctuality (97.5%) and 4-weekly punctuality (98.8%) by a franchised train operator. c2c was named Passenger Operator of the Year at the 2015 National Rail Awards, and as London’s best commuter operator in Which? magazine’s latest survey of rail companies.
- About National Express: National Express is a leading international public transport operator, with bus, coach and rail services in the UK, Continental Europe, North Africa, North America and the Middle East. More than 800m journeys a year are made worldwide on our services. Our 42,000 employees are committed to improving the quality of life for all through travel.