c2c line status: Good service

27 July 2015

c2c LAUNCHES PLAN TO INCREASE CAPACITY FOR LOCAL RAIL PASSENGERS

undefined

National Express train operator c2c is taking action to increase capacity for local rail passengers.

 

c2c has today published the latest passenger projections for the forthcoming new timetable, which starts in December. This provides 1,400 extra seats and room for over 3,000 more passengers in each morning peak alone, with passengers at Basildon, Benfleet, Chafford Hundred and Ockendon stations among the biggest winners. Connections are also dramatically improved for those c2c passengers who travel onwards into London.

 

Published figures for the new and current timetable show that the new timetable provides 25% more stops with seats available for passengers than today, and a reduction in the number of trains that are full.

 

c2c also unveiled this morning a new-look train design, which is planned to be introduced for 20% of c2c’s trains over the next six months. These trains, which will be focused on the shortest journeys at peak times, each provide room for 150 more people onboard by creating more space that can be used by standing passengers. The first passenger service for the redesigned trains was this morning’s 07.41 from Pitsea to Fenchurch Street via Rainham.

 

This is part of a £12m upgrade programme of all of c2c’s trains, which will also see every train refreshed to provide passengers with a brighter, cleaner and more comfortable journey. The first of these refurbished carriages also started in service this morning.

 

c2c Managing Director Julian Drury said: “We know our trains are getting busier, so our new timetable which starts in December will help more people making the longest journeys to get a seat. This is complemented by the new train design we’ve unveiled today for our shorter-distance peak trains, which provide more space and will help more passengers making short trips to get onboard. We’d really like feedback on this new look, so we want passengers to try the new train and tell us what they think.

 

“These improvements to capacity are part of our three-stage programme to transform the c2c service, combined with the new discounted tickets and smartcards we launched last year and the automatic compensation scheme for delayed passengers that will begin early next year.”

                                                

ENDS

 

-          The attached photos show one of the new redesigned carriages, which will be introduced on 20% of c2c trains; a refurbished carriage which will be introduced on the remaining 80% of trains; and a current c2c carriage for comparison. Also attached are copies of the seat availability for the current and future AM peak timetables.

 

-          For more information please contact Chris Atkinson on 020 7444 1868 or at chris.atkinson@c2crail.net

 

-          About c2c: c2c is the award-winning train operator running services between Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness, serving 26 stations in East London and South Essex. c2c is delivering the best performance in the UK rail industry, holding the UK records for annual punctuality (97.5%) and 4-weekly punctuality (98.8%) by a franchised train operator. c2c was named London’s best commuter operator in Which? magazine’s latest survey of rail companies.

 

-          About National Express: National Express includes: National Express is a leading international public transport operator, with bus, coach and rail services in the UK, Continental Europe, North Africa, North America and the Middle East. More than 800m journeys a year are made worldwide on our services. Our 42,000 employees are committed to improving the quality of life for all through travel.