Purchasing your ticket
Tickets for your journey can be purchased in a number of different ways:
Through the internet
- via our online booking engine where you can also plan your journey and book online.
- from our dedicated telephone ticket sales line on 08457 444422. Open Monday to Saturday 08.00 - 20.00; Sunday 10.00 - 20.00.
At the station
- in person from one of our station ticket offices or self-service ticket machines. Tickets are also available from other train companies at their ticket offices or from an approved agent;
- all our ticket office windows have an induction loop;
- all our stations have accessible self-service ticket machines;
- all our self-service machines issue tickets giving you the appropriate discount if you have a national Railcard, e.g. Disabled Persons Railcard. Any new machines will continue to offer this discount.
We support and accept the Disabled Person's Railcard which offers discounts on a range of tickets to disabled customers whether they are travelling alone or accompanied.
Fare names across the national rail network fall into one of four ticket types. The names best describe when you can buy or use a ticket, making it easier for you to buy the best value ticket for your journey.
Simple fares explained
|When can I buy my ticket?||Booked up until the day before travel||Booked in advance or purchased on the day of travel||Booked in advance or purchased on the day of travel||Booked in advance or purchased on the day of travel|
|Class of ticket offered?||Standard or First Class||Standard or First Class||Standard only||Standard only|
|Single and Return availble?||Single only (combine 2 singles for a return trip)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|When can I use this ticket?||Must travel on date and time specified on ticket||Outward journey must be on the date specified, and you must return within one calendar month.*||Outward journey must be on off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on off-peak trains within one calendar month.||Outward journey must be on off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on off-peak trains within one calendar month.|
|What trains can I use this ticket on?||On the train specified on ticket||Any train on the permitted route||Any off-peak train on the permitted route||Any Super off-peak train on the permitted route|
|Is the ticket refundable?||No||Yes (minus admin fee)||Yes (minus admin fee)||Yes (minus admin fee)|
|Can date/time of ticket be changed?||Yes (minus admin fee)||Yes (minus admin fee)||Yes (minus admin fee)||Yes (minus admin fee)|
|Discounts||Yes - child and railcard||Yes - child and railcard**||Yes - child and railcard**||Yes - child and railcard**|
* From the 16 March 2009 the validity of Anytime Return tickets has changed. The Outward journey does not have to be on the day of travel, but can now be made within 5 days (including the date on the ticket). e.g. if date on the ticket is 20 March then outward travel is valid until 24 March inclusive. The return portion will remain valid for one month from the date on the outward portion.
** Restrictions may apply at certain times of the day and/or on First class products.